Lake Ray Hubbard Take Line Area

The take line area is recognized as the land between the Take Line (usually the rear lot line of lake shore property) and the lake pool. This land is owned by the City of Dallas and is leased to the City of Rowlett, who may sublease to property owners adjacent to Lake Ray Hubbard.

Residents living along the take line area that intend to improve the take area must first sublease the property before permits can be issued. To lease the take area, please visit our Building Inspections Office in the Community Development building located at 5702 Rowlett Road to sign a Take Line Area Residential Sub-Lease Agreement.

To sublease the take area, a survey of the take area is required along with a copy of your homeowner’s deed and government Texas state issued ID. If a survey is not available, one may be obtained by contacting any licensed Texas surveyor.  For a current listing of licensed surveyors, please download this Microsoft Excel file from The Texas Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors:

The initial lease fee is $600 and then $350 annually thereafter, for renewal. If the take area is currently leased and the adjacent home is sold, the new homeowner must execute their own sublease agreement to have rights to the take line area. If there has been no gap in the sublease annual renewals, the new owner will not be required to pay the initial lease fee, only the $350 will be due at the time of the annual renewal.

Please contact our Building Inspections Office to apply for take area permits and for more information on what improvements are allowed in the subleased area. If you are interested in building a boat house, you must follow the take area regulations. The permit fee for a boat related permits (permits touching or over the water of Lake Ray Hubbard) is $300. All other Take-Area permits are $50 each.

Take Area Sublease Agreement

Take-Area Permit Application (City of Rowlett)

City of Dallas Seawall Permit Application

City of Dallas Boat Dock, Boat House or Pier Permit Application

If you have any questions, please contact Dale Jackson, Building Official at 972-412-6126

Renewal of Existing Leases

You can also renew Take-Area leases online.  You will need to register with our online system at

  1. Do not click on the option to download a Windows or Mac OS app. Instead click on the mobile option link (lower/middle option).
  2. Create a New Collaborator Account
  3. Log in with the credentials created 
  4. Under "Agency Access" click on "Agency Listing"
  5. Locate City of Rowlett in the listing click the check box next to City of Rowlett and click the green button at the top that says "Request Access"
  6. You will receive an email from MyGov with a link to complete the process of adding City of Rowlett access.
  7. Log back into MyGov with your access.
  8. Find "My Licenses" on the left side of the page, hover over the right side and click "Expiring".  If your lease is already expired, click "Expired".
  9. Click on the License Number (not Building Safety)
  10. A new page appears with the Take Area Lease Account Number 
  11. Click on Green Application Box to the Right